Texas Hill Country Holiday Activities
The holiday season is quickly approaching and one of our favorite family traditions is spending time together in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Just thinking about the dazzling, festive light displays amongst the gorgeous rolling hills of Central Texas makes us want to pack our bags and head out right now!
We also love that the Hill Country is right outside of Austin because the beautiful scenic views, holiday attractions, delicious restaurants, wineries, and breweries are all within easy driving distance from one another.
There are so many fantastic adventures awaiting you this holiday season in and around Austin, so keep reading for a fun-filled festive and foodie Holiday itinerary!
What to do
- Fredericksburg in December is the best! There’s a three-day Christmas festival and market that boasts a Christmas parade, decorated tree forest, old-fashioned gingerbread houses, and authentic German foods like honey cakes, Pfeffernüsse (a.k.a. “peppernuts”) and mulled wine
- Go ice skating at the Eisbahn Outdoor Ice Skating Rink
- Admire the 30-foot Christmas tree at the German Marktplatz
- Shop along the beautiful historic Main Street and take in all of the holiday décor and endless Christmas cheer
- Go on the holiday wine trail and indulge in local cuisine
- Make time for the Trail of Lights at Zilker Park. It’s worth experiencing at least once!
- Check out the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar for locally made art and lots of music
- Ballet Austin – The Nutcracker (another tradition of ours – we try and see The Nutcracker every holiday season)
- Drink delicious hot chocolate at one of Austin’s fantastic coffee shops such as Halcyon and Caffe Medici
- Take pictures in front of the grand Christmas tree at the Texas Capitol
Where to eat
- Der Lindenbaum or Auslander for German food
- We like the Farm Haus Bistro at the Fredericksburg Herb Farm for breakfast or lunch
- Hill Top Cafe highly recommended and great for a casual lunch
- Rose Hill Manor award winning and right next to Pedernales Cellars
- Vaudeville bistro style dining
- Cabernet Grill pretty setting and great for a steak
- August E’s for fine dining
- You can also pack a picnic and enjoy it at one of the many fantastic wineries in Fredericksburg
- Hillside Farmacy for breakfast
- Bufalina for the best pizza
- Franklin’s for BBQ (the wait is long and it is worth it! Best brisket around!)
- Epicierie for Brunch
- Josephine House
- Perla’s on SOCO
- Olamie or June’s for elevated Southern food
- Lenior – love their wine garden in the back!
- Jefferey’s – one of Austin’s best fine dining establishment
- Apis Restaurant + Apiary – A culinary sanctuary nestled between Austin and the Hill Country in Spicewood.
- Wink – We hear the scallops are amazing
Where to stay
Since this guide is largely centered around food, we highly recommend staying at the Lake Austin Resort and Spa. They are known for their cuisine and their nightly rates are all-inclusive covering every meal, snack, drink, and many fitness and lake activities!
Lake Austin Resort and Spa is located on the shores of Lake Austin in a valley set among the hills, making it the perfect place for ‘holiday home base’ given its close proximity to everything mentioned above. Plus, it’s also ranked in the top 10 resorts and spas in the U.S. for 10 years running by both Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure magazines!
Our perfect long, celebratory weekend would consist of two days filled with the above holiday festivities and amazing restaurants and then one to two days dedicated to enjoying all that Lake Austin Resort and Spa has to offer such as:
- World class spa services
- Yoga lakeside
- Paddle boarding
- Swimming (there’s even an indoor pool)
- Cooking classes
- Indulge in their famous five course gourmet dinner that blends French influences with local inspiration
Why not just go for it and make the most of your holiday retreat by booking one of the Lake Austin Spa Resort Experiences. The various “experiences” offered include Culinary, Rest & Renew, Great Outdoors, Just for Fun, Focus on Fitness, and Enhance your Well-being.
The Culinary Experience caught our eye of course! We always love channeling our inner chef so why not gift ourselves the ultimate experience this holiday season?!
Emily & Barbara
Let us know your favorite things to do to celebrate the Holidays in Texas in the comments below. Also, have you ever stayed at Lake Austin Spa and Resort? We’d love to hear about your experience + recommendations!
Thank you to Lake Austin Resort and Spa for sponsoring this post. All opinions are our own.