Best Wineries to Visit in and near Fredericksburg, Texas
(updated January 2022)
OUR FAVORITE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY WINERIES
- Southhold Farm & Cellar: A winery and farm sitting high on top of an expansive ridge providing gorgeous views! Click here to learn about their by reservation only tasting experiences. You can see our experience here on Instagram.
- William Chris Vineyards: The people at William Chris Vineyards are amazing! They’re doing huge things for the Texas wine industry and go above and beyond to treat their employees right. Their tasting room(s) and wine experiences are the best around. We’ll be writing a dedicated review all about our William Chris Vineyards experiences because there’s so much to cover and recommend. In the meantime, here’s a fun review of their amazing virtual wine tastings here.
- Lost Draw Cellars: The vision of a grape farmer, a retired oil and gas distributor, and a civil engineer came together in 2013 to make Lost Draw Cellars. They’re in close partnership with William Chris Vineyards and their wines are dynamite! Lost Draw Cellars makes my husband’s favorite wine. Love their Cinsault and Syrah. Located a few blocks off Main Street and well worth a visit! Live music and good food as well.
- Ab Astris: Beautiful tasting room with a lot of outdoor seating. Ab Astris is a family owned winery dedicated to making the best wines produced with Texas grown fruit. We love stopping in for a charcuterie plate, wine tasting, and to take in the Hill Country views.
- French Connection Wines: 100% Texas grown and Texan made. Located in the quaint community of Hye, they’re about a mile south of the historic post office, and is close to William Chris Vineyards. Reservations are recommended. Check out the carefully selected French-inspired charcuterie boards and desserts while enjoying a glass of wine on their outdoor patio overlooking the peaceful Texas Hill Country. We visited for my husband’s birthday last year and felt like we had discovered a gem of a winery off the beaten path.
- Calais Winery: Taste expertly crafted Texas wine in a cave! This is an intimate tasting experience in a traditional “wine cave” that is dug into the side of a hill right outside of Hye, TX.
- Heath Sparkling Wines: Reservations are required and guest(s) must be 21+. Heath Sparkling Wines is the first winery in Texas dedicated to the art of fine sparkling winemaking. They offer a multi-sensory tasting experience that is unique, immersive and interesting. They pair their Sparkling Wines with aligned bites that compliment one another. The tasting room is very modern and feels more California. That being said, we had a wonderful time and the wines were delightful. We would’ve bought some bottles to enjoy at home if we hadn’t needed to be a member to do so. Fun stop for a bachelorette party or romantic weekend away!
- Signor Vineyards one of the dreamiest and prettiest vineyards in Texas! You’ve most likely seen Signor all over Instagram and we’ve even featured them on our TikTok. We’re members of their interactive wine club and love their Pinot Noirs. We stop in every time we’re in Fredericksburg and that’s saying something given the amount of wineries you can visit!
- Becker Vineyards Gorgeous setting with lavender fields off to the side. Live music on the weekends. Becker wines have even been recognized by the White House! Our favorites are the Reserve Malbec, Ravenswood, Reserve Cab and Claret.
- Hilmy– Hilmy Cellars has a different feel than most of the wineries. It’s a bit more rustic with a farm and cacti galore! We really enjoy their sangria and they have a beautiful back patio. Our friends, the Wandering Wilsons, got engaged here!
- Bonus add: Pontotoc Vineyard Weingarten on Main St. is nestled in a quaint cottage with an authentic weinkeller in a stone walled courtyard in historic Fredericksburg, Texas. They are serving up the BEST SANGRIA! It’s a must stop while shopping on Main. They also have an AirBnB as well – Camp Wanderlust.
ON THE OUTSKIRTS
- Wine For The People in Dripping Springs: This TEXAS AVA tasting room is shared with C.L. Butaud and features flights dedicated to each producer, as well as a flight combining wines from both winemakers, allowing guests to sample a variety of 100% Texas wines. Seated tastings are available indoors and out, and last approximately 60 minutes. Located close to Jester King this is such a gem and we highly recommend visiting.
- Bell Springs in Dripping Springs: Take a break from Austin’s bustle and head to Bell Springs Winery located just 25 minutes from Austin. We love that Bell Springs is right next one of our favorite places to stay in the Spring/Summer Lucky Arrow Retreat. Enjoy local hand crafted Texas wine in a pretty backdrop while exploring all there is to do in Dripping!
- Hamilton Pool Vineyards and farms in Dripping Springs: Under Vine Since 1999 – Hamilton Pool Vineyards is one of the pioneer vineyards of the Texas Hill Country AVA. They’re crafting old-world style wines with a focus on French traditions. Food truck on property with large outdoor seating space. Gorgeous drive in!
- Duchman Family Winery in Driftwood right outside of Austin and fantastic!
- Fallcreek Vineyard outside of Austin and with the cutest rooms if you’re wanting to stay the night for a quick little getaway.
- Perissos (a bit of a drive but fantastic and closer to lake LBJ – read blog post here)
WINERIES OF NOTE
- Untamed Wines: They are combining worldly experience and measured science, reinventing traditional style through international inspiration. The owners, Dane and Mckenzie have produced 31 vintages of wine and millions of cases nationally and internationally before deciding to “break free” from the corporate mold and produce wine for themselves. We recently visited and loved their Sparkling, Pinot Noir, and pizza.
- Pednernales Cellars – Boasting beautiful sweeping views of the Pedernales River Valley. and set back off of the main road. We love driving up and taking in the landscape which includes cows and Rose Hill Manor. They also have a lovely patio that you can relax on sip your wine and enjoy a cheese plate or two. Tempranillos are the wines to drink here.
- Kuhlman: Check out our review here. We recommend doing their food and wine pairing experience.
WINERIES ON OUR RADAR
- Crowson Wines: located in Johnson City and practicing more natural approaches to winemaking.
- Arrowhead Creek Winery: The winery has several areas on site to taste wines and enjoy a delicious farmhouse sandwich or charcuterie board, and afterwards people can explore the beauty of the grounds. They’re located on the Pedernales River and people can walk down to picnic tables and sip wine with a view of the water. A rare offering and big plus! Hop inside and select a glass or bottle of wine to enjoy on their patio, have a picnic on the lawn, or to sit on their spacious veranda overlooking a beautiful stretch of the Pedernales River!
- Slate Theory
WHERE TO EAT IN FREDERICKSBURG AND NEARBY
- Caliche Coffee for breakfast
- Emma and Ollie for breakfast, brunch, or lunch
- Woerner Warehouse and Bakery Fun spot for breakfast or lunch located in a gorgeous antique store. If you’re a fan of Coconut or Key Lime Pie make sure and save room because they’re totally worth it!
- La Bergerie Amazing for a wine and cheese before dinner
- Hill & Vine We recently ate here and really loved it. The food was great and the atmosphere was fun. Indoor/Outdoor seating available
- Southhold Farm & Cellar Sunset Supper This is one of my favorite experiences I’ve had yet in my 20+ trips out to Fredericksburg. We ate here for my birthday and it was an incredible experience. The sunset was one of the most beaitiful I’ve ever seen and paired with exquisite food and wine and not to mention the best people!
- Rose Hill Manor Award winning and right next to Pedernales Cellars
- Otto’s Love their German food. It’s the best!
- Vaudeville Higher end dining the Hill Country. Great place for a celebratory meal
- Cabernet Grill Always consistent. Wonderful spot to celebrate and enjoy a delightful dinner
*Image source: Heavenly Host Falling Star
Where to Stay in Fredericksburg
- Hoffman Haus
- A-Frame Ranch: Video review on our TikTok linked here. We’ll definitely be back in the Spring. This place was amazing and perfect for families! Our toddlers are already asking when can we go back and the answer is SOON!
- Heavenly Hosts, their new Falling Star accommodations looks amazing!
- Contigo Ranch
- The Austin Street Retreat
- Absolute Charm
- Stonewall Motor Lodge
- Njem Haus: Inspirational and Fun, with Pool
- swooning over this stunning airbnb for a weekend with the entire family!
PIN FOR LATER
Have you been to Fredericksburg and the surrounding Texas Hill Country Wine Trail?
If so, where are your favorite places to visit? Let us know in the comments below!
Emily & Barbara
Also, check out our friend Elaine’s post from Carpe Travel on planning a Texas Hill Country Wine Experience!