Today we are sharing with you a beloved Easter family tradition. Every year that we’re able, we join our now 92 year old Polish Nani (grandmother) and go to the Shrine of our Lady of Czestochowa in San Antonio, Texas for a very special Polish Easter Basket blessing.
Traditionally, families fill a basket with items symbolizing elements of the Easter story and bring their baskets to the village church to be blessed.
Traditional Polish Easter Basket items include:
- Butter (Maslo) – often shaped like a lamb or a cross representing the good will we should have towards others
- Easter Bread (Babka)
- Horseradish (Chrzan)
- Eggs (Jajka) – New life
- Sausage (Kielbasa) – God’s favor and generosity
- Ham (Szynka) – Abundance
- Salt (Sol) – Prosperity and justice
- Cheese (Ser) – Moderation in all things
- Candle (Swieczka) – Light of the world
- Colorful ribbons and sprigs of greenery to decorate the basket as symbols of new life and joy in the season of spring
Over time modern families include such items as:
- Hot Cross Buns
After the celebration the basket is set aside until family and friends gather together to share the Easter meal. We cherish this family tradition and love that we’re able to carry this beautiful custom forward into our own growing families.
Happy Easter! Wesołych Świąt Wielkanocnych!
Emily & Barbie