Coming to you with a NEW RECIPE: Roasted Sweet Potato & Creamy Black Bean Tostada! We’ve been working to strengthen our immune systems and part of that is getting nutrient boosts from eating more vegetables. These SUPER flavorful vegetarian roasted sweet potato tostadas have been the perfect week-day lunch or dinner go-to. They pack a nutritious punch with roasted sweet potatoes tossed in spices, pumpkin seeds for crunch, and a zesty coconut lime and pecan creamy black bean spread. The combo of flavors happening here is absolutely delightful and puts us in the fall mood!
This recipe is super delicious, my husband even asks for seconds when I make it, and I know that’s when something is extra YUM!
The best part is that the tortillas we make these tasty tostadas with come with 6 grams of plant-based protein! Love it when an ingredient works double time for you and ups the nutrition.
This recipe features two new foodies finds from new to us brand @teasdalesimplyespecial that provide an extra boost of plant-based protein, fiber and iron. These incredibly flavorful beans and tortillas deliver more taste and more of the good stuff in every bite without sacrificing flavor or quality.
1) SPICY CUBAN BLACK BEANS: Savor the flavors of Havana with black beans, bell peppers and lime juice. Zesty and seriously taste amazing! They took our black bean spread to the next level.
2) CHICKPEA & CILANTRO TORTILLAS: Upping flavor and protein making this no ordinary tortilla. Plus, these turn into the most wonderful tostadas when popped into the oven. Tortilla to crispy tostada in under five minutes, BOOM!
Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or EVOO
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chipotle
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
Creamy Coconut-Lime Black Bean Spread
- ½ cup coconut cream or milk
- 1 can black beans (we love @teasdalesimplyespecial Spicy Cuban Black Beans)
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 tortillas (we used @teasdalesimplyespecial Chickpea & Cilantro tortillas because they deliver extra flavor + are packed with 6 grams of good-for-you plant protein)
- Avocado or EVOO to brush tortillas with before putting them in the oven
- Diced organic tomatoes
- Sliced radish
- Pumpkin seeds (highly recommended!)
- Salsa or hot sauce of your choice
- Cotija cheese
- Queso Fresco
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
- Heat the oven to 425 F with the baking sheet in the oven to also pre heat (culinary school tip!).
- Arrange sweet potato cubes in an even layer on baking sheet. Add your spices and toss to combine. Next, drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the sweet potatoes. Toss again to evenly coat the sweet potatoes in the seasoning. Roast in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, get started on the black bean spread. Heat black beans over medium-low for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a food processor and combine coconut milk, pecans, black beans, fresh lime juice, and spices. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Next, put the tortillas on a sheet pan and brush both sides with olive oil or avocado oil. Then put in preheated oven and cook until they’re golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Keep watch on them as they burn quickly! Repeat this step with the remaining tortillas.
- Layer each tostada with black bean spread, then roasted sweet potatoes, and top with your favorite toppings of choice. We went with sliced avocado, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, sour cream, Siete chipotle hot sauce, and freshly squeezed lime juice.