Fortuitous Foodies Christmas Coffee Cake
One of our favorite Christmas traditions is making and eating our Aunt Teri’s famous Christmas Coffee Cake! Usually, she is the one making it and it’s always melt-in-your-mouth delicious. This year, we had a lot to live up as far as making this family favorite recipe goes!
Emily hosted the family in her and her husband’s new home, which meant it was our turn to bake this festive and scrumptious Christmas Coffee Cake. With Aunt Teri’s guidance, we whipped it up on Christmas Eve so it would be ready to bake and eat on Christmas morning. Her’s is always excellent so we were crossing our fingers ours would be just as good or at least close! Thank goodness the recipe below is easy to follow and turned out great!
Everyone in the family approved and we’re excited to be sharing it now with you! Keep reading for the recipe…
Christmas Coffee Cake Recipe
- FOR CHRISTMAS COFFEE CAKE
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 5 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 packages of yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins (you could also use craisins)
- 1 cup nuts (we use a mixture of pecans and walnuts)
- FOR CINNAMON SUGAR BUTTER
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- FOR VANILLA SUGAR GLAZE
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, shifted to remove any clumps
- 3-4 tbsps organic milk
- 2 tsps good vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon
- Warm the first three ingredients in microwave until the butter is melted. We heat it in 30 second intervals..
- Combine dry ingredients in medium size mixing bowl: flour, cane sugar, salt, yeast,
- In Kitchen-aid mixer or large bowl add in your dry mixture of ingredients.
- Gradually add in your milk, eggs, raisins, nuts.
- Mix well.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate overnight..
- Roll out your dough into a sheet.
- Spread with softened cinnamon sugar. butter
- Roll the dough up into a circle, similar to cinnamon rolls, and cut into individual serving size pieces.
- Let rise one hour on kitchen counter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes
- While cooling, make your vanilla powdered sugar glaze by combining powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over coffee cake and enjoy!
SHOP BAKING TOOL ESSENTIALS
Scroll through to see our favorite tools for baking above. We love using our silpat baking mat that provides a nonstick surface that allows for the easiest release of your baked goods. No greasing or liners necessary! It’s wonderful for baking cookies and macaroons as well. This marble rolling pin has us swooning! Perfect gift for a hostess, newly wed, or graduate!
LOVING THESE PRETTY CAKE STANDS
Another favorite kitchen essential in our Fortuitous Foodies kitchens are cake stands! Shop our current favorites above and wow guests at your next dinner party or celebration.
Needing more foodie gift inspiration? Check out our Fortuitous Foodies curated gift guides here: For The Hostess, For The Foodie, Gifts Under $25
Emily & Barbie
Have favorite holiday recipes and fun traditions? Let us know in the comments below!